Our ‘On the Plate’ feature this month features Quorn’s Bao Buns with the recipe developed by Mark Robinson.
Sesame glazed Quorn pieces served in steamed bao buns with a kimchi and peanut garnish.
750g Quorn Pieces
120ml sesame oil
400g onion, diced
8 tbsp major Korean mari base
½ bunch coriander, chopped
30 hirata buns
500g kimchi, shredded
100g black sesame seeds
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tsp fresh ginger root, chopped
2 tsp garlic, chopped
- Pan-roast the peanuts, set to one side and crush when cool.
- Soft boil the eggs, de-shell, separate the white from the yolk and grate.
- Warm a pan, add sesame oil and sauté onions for 3-4 minutes, then add Korean paste, Quorn Pieces and 100ml of water. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce glazes the Quorn Pieces and core temperature is reached. Add coriander and season to taste.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat a large steamer over a medium-high heat. Steam the buns for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- To fill each bun; open and place kimchi in the steamed bun and add the Quorn Pieces. Sprinkle peanuts, egg white and yolk over the top.
- Season with black sesame seeds.
- Garnish with coriander, a drizzle of sauce and serve.
Serve with Sriracha chilli sauce for that extra kick or use different sauces to tickle your taste buds. If Kimchi isn’t available use pickled cabbage as an alternative.
This recipe was developed by Mark Robinson, Head Chef at Vacherin.
“If you’re preparing street food, I think it’s important that dishes don’t look too dissimilar regardless of catering for varying types of dietary or allergen requirements. As chefs, we want to show that we believe in providing clients and customers looking for meat-free the same consideration as other dietary requirements without having to compromise on quality, taste and style.”
Outlets interested in stocking Quorn should email email@example.com, phone 0345 602 9000, or visit https://www.quornfoodservice.co.uk/ for more information. The brochure is also downloadable via the Quorn Foodservice website https://www.quornfoodservice.co.uk/downloads/restaurants